We are proud to begin our spring Period Project collection for women in need. This fund and supply raising program purchases and collects women’s hygiene supplies for packaging and distribution to schools, service centers, food pantries, and organizations serving women and teens in need. Together, we can make a period just a little easier for those without resources.
DONATIONS NEEDED: Sealed Boxes of individually wrapped Pads and Tampons, Cleansing Wipes, Hand Sanitizers or Soap, Panty Liners, New Pairs of Underwear.
Online Credit Card Donation: If you would prefer to make a monetary donation, we will purchase items in short supply. Donate online, or make check out to Zonta Club of Berkshire County, and send to PO Box 2184, Lenox MA 01240.
Assembly of the Period Projects kits has been scheduled for Saturday March 19,2022 at 9AM Let Vickie Palardy know if you’d like to volunteer to help assemble packs or if you work for a shelter, school or service center and would like supplies. We are happy to share with any organization in Berkshire County.
For women living in poverty or experiencing homelessness, having a period is a significant financial burden. It is challenging for women and teens to maintain proper hygiene and dignity when basic menstrual hygiene products are so costly. Additionally, pads and tampons are considered “non-essential” by the federal government, so they are not covered by SNAP and WIC programs. Many women and teens in our community often lack consistent access to hygiene products and safe sanitary spaces. During the COVID pandemic, the need was so great that all of our supplies are gone and we are collecting again for a spring delivery.
Thank you, the Zontians of Berkshire County
Welcome to the The Zonta Club of Berkshire County. We are a small organization of approximately 40 Berkshire County women working together to improve the lives of girls and women locally and worldwide. We are a not-for-profit that is volunteer run and driven – we meet monthly to hear from compelling guest speakers, network and work on our service projects. We are involved at many levels in our community and in our nation. Here is a little bit of our mission:
We were founded in 1994, with the following goals:
- To provide service at the global and local level
- To improve the legal, political, economic, educational, health, and professional status of women
- To work for the advancement of understanding, goodwill and peace through a world fellowship of executives in business and the professions
- To promote justice and universal respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms
- To be united internationally to foster high ethical standards, to implement service programs and to provide mutual support and fellowship for members who service their communities, their nations and the universe.
In Berkshire County, the Zonta Club was part of the development of the following major annual events, which we continue to guide and support:
- Suit Yourself Program with Goodwill Industries
- Real Women Essay Contest with Girls Inc, Brigham Center
- The Period Project, Collecting for Women’s Dignity for local service centers
We work to raising funds for several major scholarships annually, including:
- The Young Women in Public Affairs Scholarship
- She Knows Where She’s Going Girls Inc. Scholarship
- Berkshire Graduate College Scholarship
- Jane M. Klausman Women in Business
- Amelia Earhart Women in AeroSpace Fellowship.
Our fundraisers are a lot of FUN! Annually we host at least one Bunco Game Night and our major fundraiser is the Poinsettia holiday plant sale.
Our advocacy work includes:
- Creation of the high school ‘Just Say No to Sexual Assault’ poster contest
- The ‘Real Men of Berkshire County Just Say No’ calendar Fundraiser
- Work to pass legislation that protects and advances the rights of women in Berkshire County, Massachusetts, nationwide and worldwide.