Climate Change Advocacy Mission
The Zonta Club of Berkshire adopted Climate Change as one of our main advocacy goals in 2022-2023. Our mission is to create a gender-equal, sustainable world by educating girls, advocating for women’s rights, and inspiring more female leaders.
What is the link between climate change and gender inequality? Climate change is like being on a runaway train.
- Increasing greenhouse gas emissions are causing global warming.
- Global warming is triggering extreme weather events.
- Extreme weather events are causing major social disruption as millions of people are displaced.
- Social disruption magnifies existing inequalities – including gender inequality.
The gains in gender equality made over the last one hundred years by Zonta International are at risk. Zonta International is understandably concerned and recently released its Statement on Climate Change: a Gender Equality Issue.
In 2020, District 23 joined the dots and developed Zonta Says NOW to gender equality and climate action to work at both ends of the train by reducing emissions and closing the gender gap.
Zonta Says NOW aims to create a gender-equal, sustainable world by:
- educating girls
- advocating for women’s rights and
- inspiring more female leaders.
Zonta Says NOW featured on Zonta International’s Women and Climate Change panel in September 2021. Watch this 10-minute video where one of the program’s creators, Carole Theobald describes the actions we can take to slow down global warming and close the gender gap.
There is something for everyone to do – but time is running out – which is why Zonta Says NOW!